Saturday, January 10, 2009

My style of making 'Hinava"

'Hinava' is a local dish of Sabah. It is made of raw fish and taken as an appetizer. Last Christmas I introduced it to my son's in laws in K.L. and they loved it. That was the first time they tasted it . So I just wish to share with you how I prepared it.

Ingredients

1/2 ikan tenggeri which must be fresh
garlic according to taste (for me I like to put a lot)
small red onions
1 piece of ginger
10 limes (more or less)
2 red chillies (optional)
5 - 10 limes

Method:

Slice the fish int0 halves. Make sure to clean the fish properly. Scrape the flesh out with a spoon. Put it aside in a bowl. Clean the garlic, onions and ginger and chop them into small pieces. Smash the garlic first before chopping. Slice the lime lenghtwise so that the juice can be squeezed easily.
Add the lime juice onto the scrapped fish a little at a time until the fish turns pale. Put in the other ingredients and mix well. Put in salt to taste. (The limes will cook the fish so make sure you put enough until you do not see any red colour) Don't forget to put some salt and if you like sprinkle a dash of pepper to the dish.

Have a good try.

1 comment:

  1. It would be great if you could post a picture of the mouth watering dish on this post. Yummmy

    ReplyDelete